1 Corinthians 9:18

"What then is my reward? Just this: that in preaching the gospel I may offer it free of charge, and so not make use of my rights in preaching it." NIV


2011 Playlist


Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones

Saturday, June 2, 2007

Mom's Birthday and Matinicus!

So, we went out to Matinicus last weekend. Mom, Dad, Alex (for one night), Janna, Gail, Dan and Laura. Matt couldn't go unfortunately. Since Mom's birthday was just a few days away, we had planned to give her a surprise party. So we were able to sneak a cake and presents out to the island without her noticing! We were so proud of ourselves. And she was surprised! Unfortunately I don't have any pictures of the event...it didn't even cross my mind. I was too busy trying to get the cake together. But it was a fun way to spend our first night there together...its just too bad Matt wasn't there too. But then on Tuesday (her real birthday) we took her out to dinner at Gritty's...except then Alex wasn't there (because he is already in Europe)

Anyway, Saturday came and Laura and I decided to go for a walk. It started off very nice.

And then we started to play with the camera
And again
But Laura did manage to stop to take quite a few pictures along the way

Then on Sunday we had a work day. Well, Mom and Gail and Dad worked on Saturday too...and the three of us girls joined them on Sunday. So mainly we were all working on cleaning up the grounds around the new cabin.
So here is Janna and Laura...yes, they actually did do work. Most of the time. At least...when they weren't taking pictures or finding other things to occupy their time. :)
Mom and Gail planted grass and wildflowers, in what will end up being a field to help to separate the two cabins. And the rest of the time we pretty much spent cleaning up the grounds. Dad was at the existing cabin doing something with the pipe in the ground...I really have no idea what. I never asked. Cleaning it out or something I guess.
Everything cleaned up from the grounds, sticks, brush, etc was put into a large burn pile which I managed for the day.
Gail bringing a pile of brush in the yard cart to the fire
At first we started the fire off of the driveway, but it kept catching fire underground in the roots and moss, and little fires would start up in random places...no where near the existing fire. So I moved the fire into the driveway, and had to keep tabs on the surrounding area and put out any little fires with the hose. No wonder forest fires start so quickly.
Also...do you like my outfit? Its something isn't it?
I'm so proud of my fire. I started it with just one match. :)
So, Janna and Laura did find other ways to entertain themselves when the work became too boring. For example...they drew on each other with soot. This actually kept them busy for quite a while.

Finally, it was so nice to be back inside the cabin, showered, and ready to relax. Janna was playing with my camera here...so I thought I'd make a funny face at her. I'm really not mad, despite what it may look like.
Janna didn't put sunscreen on--YELL AT HER GRAMMY--and ended up getting a sunburn.
But all in all, it was a nice way to spend the weekend. The weather was perfect for our boatrides to and from the island-and it was really fun to be out there all together. AND, the place is starting to look more and more like a new building, and not a construction site. So that is very exciting!

No comments: