1 Corinthians 9:18

"What then is my reward? Just this: that in preaching the gospel I may offer it free of charge, and so not make use of my rights in preaching it." NIV


2011 Playlist


Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones

Monday, October 1, 2007

How many books can I read at once?

A lot apparently. I am currently working through 3 books--with 2 waiting in the wings. Basically because I don't want to wait to read any of them-but I have to draw the line somewhere.

I am part of a local group of Future Director's in Mary Kay. We have a special training and recognition conference telephone call every Sunday night for 15 minutes. And we are given assignments during the week. So far our assignments revolve around reading positive books. Books that will encourage us, and help us to grow personally, spiritually, and allow both of those things to become part of our business as well. Because our business is not about selling makeup. That is simply a means to an end, and it's how we make our money of course. We have to have something to sell. But our business is REALLY about relationships. And of course, the best place to start is with our relationship with God, ourselves and our families.

So, Julie (my adopted Director), has us reading this book called "The Greatest Salesman in the World" by Og Mandino. It is a great book, and I would definitely recommend it to anyone who wants their life to start to move in a more positive direction. It is the story of 'the greatest salesman in the world' and how he became so successful. He actually isn't anyone famous, and he is probably fictional. But the whole book is based on the premise that if we internalize these 'scrolls' which are written in this book. Then it will become us. The scrolls have to do with focusing on different habits each day, changing bad habits into good, etc. There are 10 scrolls in all, and you are supposed to read them in order. One scroll at a time, morning, noon and night for 30 days each. Therefore, taking 10 months to read all 10. The idea of course is, that by reading so much, the teachings will end up being in your subconscious thinking as well as your conscious thinking. Since our subconscious actually has SO much control over what we do each day. Did you ever think about that? And we have trained our subconscious to tell ourselves that we aren't capable. Anyway, this author is also a Christian, so he incorporates a lot about God and making that a part of your everyday life too.

So, because I bought that book, I also bought "The Greatest Miracle in the World" by the same author. I haven't read it yet. It is one of the ones waiting in the wings.

While I was at the bookstore, I encountered "90 Minutes in Heaven" by Don Piper. It is the true story of a man who died and went to Heaven, only to be sent back to tell us that Heaven does exist! I have barely started this one, but I am eager to read it cover to cover.

And because I bought this book, it reminded me that I also wanted to read "23 Minutes in Hell" by Bill Wiese. My Mom had told me about this book. I don't think she has read it, but she had heard about it. Well, I could hardly put it down. I haven't finished it yet...there are only so many minutes in a day where I actually get to read, but it is so good. It is a true story of a Christian man who God sent to Hell for only 23 minutes. Jesus pulled him out, and told him that the reason he was sent to Hell was because no one believes it really exists. Jesus told him to tell everyone, because he was returning "very very soon" and He repeated that twice to Bill. It is one of those books that will make you want to tell everyone you meet that Hell is a real place, and that Jesus Saves!

The final book that I just bought, just arrived today is called "An Enemy Called Average" by John L. Mason. This is also a book recommended by Julie for us to read. As she says, "It has 52 nuggets of wisdom, coupled with scripture" Since it just came today, I haven't read any of it yet, but she has read one or 2 of the 'nuggets' to me, and I was really impressed. Which is why I bought the book! I think I need to finish a few of these other books before I crack this one open. If I spend all of my time reading, I won't be out there making money! And then I won't have a business. So this one is going to be shelved for just a bit.

On another note, I'm trying to learn how to be a full time Mary Kay lady. I have another week off coming up next week...and I'm going to be out of town for 1/2 of the week...so I need to figure out how to work that in with full time MK. I'm not sure yet. But my friend Ann, who has been full time MK for quite a few months now, is going to teach me what I'm supposed to be doing! Thank goodness for detailed and organized people!

Also, exactly one month from today, I'll be in Orlando, FL!! I'm going on a cruise out of Cape Canaveral to The Bahamas for 4 days!!!! I am so excited. It is a Mary Kay cruise, so it should be a fantastic time! Lisa, my Director is my date. We're going to have a blast. I can't wait!! :)

No comments: